Chamber of Commerce Supports Central Coast Community Energy
…and Why You Should Too.
By: Josh Cross, CEO & President of the Atascadero Chamber of Commerce
On February 8, The Chamber of Commerce prepared a letter of support to the Atascadero City Council advocating for an ordinance and resolution to support Central Coast Community Energy (3CE). The Chamber supports this move as it aligns with OUR vision to serve as a champion for a stronger business community and furthering solutions that support healthy economic growth and community resiliency. I am pleased to inform you that the Council unanimously voted to move forward with an ordinance and resolution. Councilwoman Funk stated, “I believe the Chamber’s letter of support was a key factor in enabling the Council to make this decision on a 5-0 vote.”
Before I discuss the benefits of 3CE membership, I should explain that 3CE is one of 21 Community Choice Aggregators (CCAs) across California that serves more than 10 million customers. CCAs provide communities more control and choice when it comes to electricity service. CCAs are expected to supply the majority of California’s electricity over the next decade.
Here are some of the benefits of 3CE that helped inform our support:
- Choice: much in the same way you can choose your cell carrier, now you will have the opportunity to choose your energy provider… 3CE or PG&E. PG&E will continue delivering electricity and maintaining electric infrastructure along with billing.
- Competition: we believe competition is good for consumers like you. This should keep rates and inflation lower.
- Clean Energy: 3CE is committed to providing 60% of its energy supply from new and renewable resources by 2025 and 100% by 2030.
- Incentives: 3CE uses profits to reinvest in the communities it serves. For example, San Luis Obispo residents can receive $500 towards the purchase of an e-bike.
- Opt-Out: Businesses and residents can opt-out of the program if they do not feel 3CE is beneficial to them. However, 3CE reports that 93% of eligible customers choose to retain services.
Advocating on your behalf is one of the many ways the Chamber provides value to our community. We will continue to track this effort and be sure to provide you with the latest information. To learn more about 3CE, visit 3cenergy.org.
-Josh Cross, Atascadero Chamber CEO
President & CEO of the Atascadero Chamber | Josh Cross