The Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors made the difficult yet crucial decision to endorse Measure D-20. Approval of this measure will provide the City with approximately $4.5 million to fund essential services and make strategic investments that will benefit the residents and businesses of Atascadero immediately and for years to come. Here are our top five reasons for supporting this measure:
- Tax Exempt Essentials – Essential purchases like groceries, prescription medications, utilities, and housing will remain exempt from this sales tax.
- Creation of an Oversight Committee – Through the Chamber’s request, the City has passed a resolution to create an oversight committee to ensure transparency and accountability regarding use of these funds. Further, the City will facilitate a series of community workshops with residents and business owners to discuss fund allocation.
- Enhance Police and Fire Capabilities – Businesses thrive in communities that are safe and provide excellent services. Measure D-20 will preserve or enhance staffing levels for police and fire.
- Fire and Natural Disaster Preparedness – Measure D-20 will assist with fire and natural disaster preparedness, as well as ensure adequate emergency response times.
- Maintain Current ISO Rating – The City of Paso Robles recently received a ‘C’ score for its fire protection capabilities from the Insurance Services Office (ISO)¹. As a result, property owners are subject to an increase in rates of hundreds of dollars per year. Therefore, we must maintain or improve our ISO rating to avoid a similar situation.
We think this investment saves our residents and businesses in the long run by investing in services and facilities that benefit us all. Please join us and vote “YES” on Measure D-20 for a healthy and safe Atascadero.
*1. Source: https://www.ksby.com/news/local-news/paso-robles-receives-c-rating-for-public-fire-protection-capabilities